This is not my creation. I saw it on a video but have since lost the link and the artist’s name. If anyone finds it, let me know so I can properly credit him.
This is easier to show in a video. Bear with me while I try to describe it in text.
- Take a rectangular piece of paper. If one side is longer than the other, holding it landscape may be the best.
- Make 2 vertical creases so each of the 3 sections has equal width. Call the left and right creases VL and VR, respectively. Unfold and similarly make 2 horizontal creases so again the paper is in 1/3rds. Call the top and bottom creases HT and HB, respectively.
- Cut the paper along both vertical creases from the top of the page to the lower horizontal crease (that is, 2/3rds of the height of the page). You paper should look like a fat letter-W.
- Take the left third of the page and fold as follows: along HT, fold forward; along HB, fold back. Now fold along VL back so this is section is hidden.
- Take what was the center of the page and fold as follows: along HT, fold back; along HB, fold forward. Now fold along LR forward so all this lies over the bottom portion of what was the right side of the page.
- Fold up along along HB. You should now have something two panels high and 1 panel wide.
Now add some arrows to direct the flow of the comic:
- The top panel is Panel 1.
- Draw a down arrow on the bottom space.
- Unfold downward, revealing Panel 2.
- Draw a choice arrow pointing left and right on the bottom space.
- Unfold leftward, revealing Panel 3.
- Draw a choice arrow pointing up and down on the left space.
- Unfold upward, revealing Panels 4 and 5.
- Refold Panels 4 and 5 and unfold downward, revealing Panels 6 and 7.
- Refold all the back to step 5. This time, unfold rightward, revealing Panel 8.
- Draw a choice arrow pointing up and down on the right space.
- Unfold upward, revealing Panels 9 and 10.
- Refold Panels 8 and 10 and unfold downward, revealing Panels 11 and 12.
The different paths of the comic are:
One thing you can experiment with is drawing on the arrow spaces. However, these will be hidden after you make your choice. Right now, the way the comic is setup, you see all the panels in your path when you’re done.