(Edit: Looks like only one response. Anyway, this was kicked off by a series of tweets by Kate Beaton. It eventually spawned this comic response.)
I’m interested in what people think about the following. Please answer in the comments?
Scenario: An artist receives a comment along the lines of “marry me,” “let’s go out,” “let’s do the horizontal tango.”
- If you were the artist, what portion of the comment do you attribute to the art and what portion to being the right gender for the commentator’s sexual orientation?
- Does it matter what the gender of the artist or commentator is?
- Have you ever experienced a creative work so impressive that you thought such a comment?
- Would you make such a comment jokingly or seriously? In person or online?
- Would your answer to 2 or 3 change if the artist was someone not of your sexual orientation?
- Are you male or female?
Most likely, the majority of people reading this are ballroom folks, and there might be a slight bias since Latin especially tries to be sexy for the audience. I’m more asking about art the artist isn’t physically part of.